There are many reasons for switching to tankless hot water heaters.
- Endless supply of hot water – It always happens, you take a shower after someone else has and there’s no hot water. A tankless hot water system ensures there is always hot water for shower user number two, number three, and so on.
- Reliability – Tankless hot water heaters are a proven technology and have been around for a long time in Europe and Asia. The lifespan of a tankless water heater is between 20 to 25 years with proper maintenance. Conventional tanks last on average six to eight years these days.
- Safety – Unlike a conventional hot water tank, a tankless water heater is not storing 40 to 50 gallons of hot water waiting to leak. New technologies in the heaters allow them to sense if a leak is occurring and isolate the heater to prevent water damage to your home or business.
- Warranties – Manufacturers like Rheem offer limited lifetime warranties on exchangers and 10 years on parts.
- Energy Efficiency – On-demand hot water heaters offer energy savings over the life of the unit, especially with the onset of carbon levies from governments. Typical savings over 25 years based on EnerGuide ratings can be $6,000 to $7,000 after the initial install costs. In addition, programs from Energy Efficiency Alberta give up to a $1,000 rebate on the replacement of hot water tanks with a tankless water heater.
- Space – An on-demand tankless hot water heater can be placed virtually anywhere. If your home or business has limited space in the mechanical room or where your hot water tank currently is, then this is a great option.