Drain Cleaning FAQ
Whether you’re a new homeowner or a long-time resident of Edmonton, AB, the Hydro-Flo Plumbing & Heating team is no stranger to cleaning and answering drain FAQs. Our team has been providing our services to this community for decades. We received several frequently asked questions about drain cleaning over the years. We’ve compiled a list of our more common drain FAQs to ensure an easy read. Our experts have the information and experience to help you in any plumbing situation. Don’t wait. Give us a call today to schedule your next drain cleaning.
One crucial and often overlooked aspect of maintaining your plumbing system is failing to clean your drains. It’s also one that most people have questions about. We wanted to address all the drain cleaning FAQs we receive or hear while on the job. Here are the most frequently asked questions about drain cleaning:
- What Drain Cleaning Products Work Best? – Our team recommends an enzyme-type drain cleaner as the natural enzymes eat the grease and hair while keeping your pipe from filling with sludge. When used as intended, the sludge is turned into a liquid that flows into your main sewage system. Another drain cleaner we recommend is the gel-based cleaner which can clear clogs in nearly every drain in your house. This method may require a second application if the clog is severe enough.
- How Much Drain Cleaner Should I use Per Drain? – First, you should review the directions on your chosen container of drain cleaner. On average, it’s approximately 2 ounces of cleaner to 32 ounces of water. Drain cleaner is more potent than expected.
- How long Should I Wait After Using a Drain Cleaner? – While each manufacturer has different requirements, we suggest waiting at least 15 minutes before flushing the drain with water.
- How Often Should a Drain Be Cleaned? – It’s always best to make drain cleaning part of your routine maintenance for your home. We suggest cleaning your drain at least once a year for most homes. Don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a consultation if you want more information.
- Why Is Drain Cleaning Important? – Routinely cleaning not only keeps the water flowing correctly, but it also offers additional benefits you may not have realized. Drain cleaning improves the lifespan of your drain by minimizing the damage that can accumulate. It helps eliminate foul odors while keeping expensive repairs at bay.
- How to Prevent Clogged Drains? – Most clogs can be prevented by certain measures to ensure everything works as intended. The first step is to be aware of what you put down your drain; things like grease, coffee grounds, hair, and soap scum can cause issues. Another great way to help is pouring a handful of baking soda down your drain every once in and while and then following it with hot water. Finally, we recommend pouring one cup of vinegar down the drain and a cup of baking soda. It’s best to let it bubble for 15 minutes, then rinse it with hot water.
- What Are Some Simple Ways to Fix a Clogged Drain? – If you’ve noticed a drain, we recommend removing the blockage manually. You can also use a plunger to remove a clog, but remember, plungers are more effective underwater. For those wanting to take a more chemical approach, we suggest the vinegar and baking soda mixture, as mentioned in our previous question. The baking soda and vinegar mixture works best on bathroom sink drains but can work on tubs and shower drains.
What Happens to An Unused Bathroom Drain? – After some time, an unused bathroom drain can begin to smell, often due to an unused plumbing trap. Plumbing traps are U-shaped dips in the pipes under your bathroom drains. These traps are designed to keep your bathroom from being filled with sewage odors, as normally, that pipe is filled with water to stop smells from coming through. It’s a simple fix, pour water into the drain.
- Is Drain Cleaning Necessary for Every Clog? – Thankfully, not every clog needs chemical drain cleanings. Most basic clogs can be cleared out with a plunger or other means. It’s best to try those before resorting to explained drain cleaning solutions.
- What Can a Professional Plumber Do for Drain Cleaning? – Our team brings specialized training, experience, and tools to complete your drain cleaning without using any caustic chemicals. Regardless of the severity of the clog, the team at Hydro-Flo Plumbing & Heating can efficiently and quickly fix your clogged drain.
Take Advantage of Our Drain Cleaning Service
Properly working drains are vital to the health and safety of your home. Our expert team specializes in drain cleaning and everything in between, including line steaming, root removal, and sewer flushing services. Regardless of your needs, we have the solutions you need. If you still have questions after reading our drain cleaning FAQs, don’t hesitate to reach out. Our knowledgeable representatives are standing by to help. We look forward to assisting you.