As the cold, Canadian winter begins to take hold in our area, home and business owners alike are turning their focus toward ensuring indoor comfort for the entire season. While things like proper insulation, weather stripping, and other winterization techniques are helpful, your heating system undoubtedly takes the spotlight. Without proper care and maintenance, you may find yourself quite literally left in the cold. Let’s look at the steps you may want to consider if you want your property to offer you the comfort and warmth you deserve throughout this cold weather season.
Maintenance is key
One of the best things you can do to keep your heating system running smoothly, safely, and efficiently is to have your equipment inspected and serviced at least once a year. When you choose a trusted HVAC contractor such as Hydro-Flo Plumbing & Heating for your annual maintenance, you’re not only guaranteeing cold season comfort; you’re also providing an opportunity for your professional contractor to catch and address any issues that could develop into costly repairs later on down the road. When you choose us for your heating inspection and maintenance needs, our team will:
- Inspect and clean air ducts, pipes, vents, and registers
- Check the functionality of safety features, such as limit or over-temperature switches
- Examine the condition of your heat exchanger
- Clean and assess the internal mechanisms of your furnace, including motors and fans
- Test-start the furnace and the function of your thermostat to ensure accuracy and consistency
While we highly recommend scheduling your inspection well before cold weather sets in, it’s much better to have your heating system inspected and serviced during winter than to skip it entirely. We know this well and specialize in getting people the help they need as soon as possible. We’ll alter our schedule to make sure you stay warm and cozy.
Tips for a warm winter
In addition to scheduling annual maintenance for your heating system, there are a few other things you can do to stay warm and save on your heating bills this winter.
- Bundle up: It’s easier to control your body temperature than the air around you. If you’re feeling a bit of a chill, try adding another layer of clothing before touching the thermostat.
- Turn on the ceiling fan: While it may sound counterintuitive, running your ceiling fan in a clockwise direction will push the warm air has risen to the ceiling back down into the room.
- Install a programmable thermostat: By setting the thermostat to different temperatures based around your schedule, you’ll shave dollars off your monthly heating bill.
- Hang thicker curtains: By replacing lightweight window treatments with heavier materials, you’ll add another layer of insulation in front of your windows. Consider opening them on bright, sunny days to take advantage of the heat from the sun.
At Hydro-Flo Plumbing & Heating, we’re dedicated to providing home and business owners with the services they need for interior comfort all year-round. In the event you find yourself needing repairs, take advantage of our 24-hour emergency services. We offer same-day heating repair services so you’ll never be left out in the cold.